from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A tall chest of drawers divided into two sections and supported on four legs.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A tall chest of drawers raised up on high legs, beginning with the simpler William and Mary style of the late 17th century, culminating in the late baroque 18th century Queen Anne style, progressing into the early Georgian style, with an ornate top and extensive carvings; sometimes called a tallboy. American examples are highly prized by collectors.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who lives high; also, in politics, a highflyer.
  • n. A kind of tall chest of drawers, with drawers up to near or above eye level and fouyr legs at the base; it is often divided into lower and upper sections, with the lower section somewhat wider than the upper; also called a tallboy. Compare lowboy.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An extreme Tory and High-churchman, supposed to favor Jacobitism.
  • n. A tall chest of drawers supported on legs from 18 inches to 2 feet high. Those on shorter legs are called low-boys.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a tall chest of drawers divided into two sections and supported on four legs


high + boy (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.