from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. A skin condition characterized by intensely itching welts and caused by an allergic reaction to internal or external agents, an infection, or a nervous condition. Also called nettle rash, urticaria.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Itchy, swollen, red areas of the skin which can appear quickly in response to an allergen or due to other conditions.
- n. Plural form of hive.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of hive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The croup.
- n. An eruptive disease (Varicella globularis), allied to the chicken pox.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Laryngitis.
- n. Urticaria and (loosely) other skin affections. See urticaria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an itchy skin eruption characterized by weals with pale interiors and well-defined red margins; usually the result of an allergic response to insect bites or food or drugs
For those of you who break out in hives at the thought of learning a new markup language, try LyX, I've heard wonderful feedback about it.
A concern with hives is that they can get into your throat, making it difficult to breathe.
The second time I had broken out in hives from liquid soap over there, so I needed to go to a clinic to have it taken care of.
I, unfortunately, have the fashion sense of a gnat, and break out in hives at the mere thought of anything that doesn't allow me to wear a pair of jeans, boots and a black shirt.
I just became allergic 3 months ago, I break out in hives if I eat it now.
I'm still occasionally breaking out in hives after eating (in the late evening, mostly), but have lost many of the other symptoms and am feeling much better (just grumpy: no Entemann's crumb donuts, no pepperidge farm oatmeal raisin cookies, no bagels, no etc.)
I'm sure The Simpsons is pure genius, just as I'm sure cats can be loving and loyal and my girlfriend's perfume was sexy and alluring, but I'll never get to enjoy it because as soon as I see it or hear it or even think about it I break out in hives and start sneezing.
He had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives along with being itchy.
I break out in hives whenever I feel that someone is going to ask me for my five year plan.
Just to the Reception - ceremonies make me break out in hives