from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • adjective Of, involving, moved by, or operated by a fluid, especially water, under pressure.
  • adjective Able to set and harden under water, as Portland cement.
  • adjective Of or relating to hydraulics.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • In mining, to work by the hydraulic-mining process.
  • Pertaining or relating to fluids in motion, or to hydraulics. See hydraulics.
  • The larger or lifting piston of a hydraulic press.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective Of or pertaining to hydraulics, or to fluids in motion; conveying, or acting by, water.
  • adjective an accumulator for hydraulic machinery of any kind. See Accumulator, 2.
  • adjective a cataract. See Cataract, 3.
  • adjective a cement or mortar made of hydraulic lime, which will harden under water.
  • adjective a lift operated by the weight or pressure of water.
  • adjective See under Jack.
  • adjective quicklime obtained from hydraulic limestone, and used for cementing under water, etc.
  • adjective a limestone which contains some clay, and which yields a quicklime that will set, or form a firm, strong mass, under water.
  • adjective (Gas Works) a horizontal pipe containing water at the bottom into which the ends of the pipes from the retorts dip, for passing the gas through water in order to remove ammonia.
  • adjective [Pacific Coast] a system of mining in which the force of a jet of water is used to wash down a bank of gold-bearing gravel or earth.
  • adjective a hydrostatic press. See under Hydrostatic.
  • adjective a device for propelling ships by means of a stream of water ejected under water rearward from the ship.
  • adjective a machine for raising water by means of the energy of the moving water of which a portion is to be raised. When the rush of water through the main pipe d shuts the valve at a, the momentum of the current thus suddenly checked forces part of it into the air chamber b, and up the pipe c, its return being prevented by a valve at the entrance to the air chamber, while the dropping of the valve a by its own weight allows another rush through the main pipe, and so on alternately.
  • adjective (Mach.), (Gas Works) An inverted cup with a partition dipping into water, for opening or closing communication between two gas mains, the open ends of which protrude about the water.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • adjective Pertaining to water
  • adjective Related to hydraulics

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adjective moved or operated or effected by liquid (water or oil)
  • adjective of or relating to the study of hydraulics


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Latin hydraulicus, from Greek hudraulikos, from hudraulis, water organ : hudro-, hudr-, hydro- + aulos, pipe, flute.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Ancient Greek ὑδραυλικός ("of a water organ"), from ὕδραυλις ("water organ").


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word hydraulic.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.