from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause to burn.
- transitive v. To set fire to.
- transitive v. To subject to great heat, especially to make luminous by heat.
- transitive v. To arouse the passions of; excite: The insults ignited my anger.
- intransitive v. To begin to burn.
- intransitive v. To begin to glow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to set fire to (something), to light (something)
- v. to spark off (something), to enthuse
- v. to commence burning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To kindle or set on fire.
- transitive v. To subject to the action of intense heat; to heat strongly; -- often said of incombustible or infusible substances.
- intransitive v. To take fire; to begin to burn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To kindle or set on fire; cause to burn: as, to ignite a match.
- To make incandescent; cause to glow or scintillate with heat: as, to ignite iron; in chem., to heat intensely; roast.
- To take fire; begin to burn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. start to burn or burst into flames
- v. arouse or excite feelings and passions
- v. cause to start burning; subject to fire or great heat
But as to your question, 3f or 4f black powder will easily ignite from a spark.
Keeping everything dry enough to ignite is the ultimate "exercise in futility"!
Russian ECLS specialists have estimated that approximately 20% of the onboard SFOGs will not ignite, which is taken into account in the onboard O2 supplies estimates.
The problem with this is that it takes more energy to keep the fusion going that the fusion releases, so one of ITER's main goals is to "ignite" a self-sustaining fusion reaction.
Our reporter from our affiliate WHDH was talking about how these storms kind of ignite just before they hit Boston, and that's exactly what we're seeing.
Uncedo's return could "ignite" the situation and innocent people boarding taxis could be caught in the crossfire again.
If both people 'ignite' they can see each other's profile and instant message on the network.
In addition to sparking iPad sales, the cuts would purportedly be part of a larger strategy to "ignite" interest in iTunes 'video section as a whole.
Players can use the wall to jump past defenders, 'ignite' speed bursts or disrupt rivals with shockwaves.
To "ignite" its position with families, the network is looking to Nick at Nite.