from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To collide or strike: Sound waves impinge on the eardrum.
- intransitive v. To encroach; trespass: Do not impinge on my privacy.
- transitive v. To encroach upon: "One of a democratic government's continuing challenges is finding a way to protect . . . secrets without impinging the liberties that democracy exists to protect” ( Christian Science Monitor).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make a physical impact (on); to collide, to crash (upon).
- v. To interfere with; to encroach (on, upon).
- v. To have an effect upon; to limit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To fall or dash against; to touch upon; to strike; to hit; to clash with; -- with on or upon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To come in collision; collide; strike or dash: followed by on, upon, or against.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. advance beyond the usual limit
- v. impinge or infringe upon
Those winds "impinge" on J. Henry Waugh in a particularly destructive way.
Manohar and secretary N Srinivasan asking for a copy of all decisions taken at the board's special general body on Saturday as they "impinge" on his rights.
I was NEVER comfortable and anyone with broad shoulders is going to "impinge" on the "seat rights" of the person next to him / her.
President Barack Obama will sign a $7.5 billion Pakistan has said there are no conditions attached to it that "impinge" on Pakistan's sovereignty.
Kerry, a Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi that it was unlikely to make any changes in the bill for providing USD 7.5 billion Pakistan has said there are no conditions attached to it that "impinge" on Pakistan's sovereignty.
Pakistan has said there are no conditions attached to it that "impinge" on Pakistan's sovereignty.
Catholic Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York said Friday that the bill proposed by Cuomo, a Catholic Democrat, would impinge on religious freedom and on the social services provided by religious groups.
The concept could impinge on your consciousness in small ways.
How would this impinge upon other embodied memories, conscious or unconscious?
Most of his work combines archive footage with newly shot scenes, sequences laid side by side or one on top of the other, making us aware of how our viewpoint at any one time is radically influenced by the memories, historical imagery and contemporary media images that impinge on our vision.