from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is appointed or employed to inspect something.
- n. A police officer ranking next below superintendent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person employed to inspect something
- n. a police officer ranking below superintendent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who inspects, views, or oversees; one to whom the supervision of any work is committed; one who makes an official view or examination, as a military or civil officer; a superintendent; a supervisor; an overseer.
- n. A police officer, typically holding a rank one below superintendent, and in some cases in charge of several precincts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who inspects or oversees; one whose duty it is to secure by supervision the proper performance of work of any kind, or to ascertain by examination the quality or condition of the work, or of any article offered for sale or transfer; a public officer charged with such duties: as, the inspectors of election or of police; an inspector of weights and measures. Specifically
- n. An initiate in the mysteries of Eleusis; an epopt or seer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a high ranking police officer
- n. an investigator who observes carefully
ANDREW MORTON, AUTHOR, "TOM CRUISE: AN UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY": He could be in the position of what they call inspector general inside scientology.
My greatest achievement as an inspector is my failure to get promoted each time I try … it settles a deeply held personal fear that I might be morphing against my will into a suitable candidate for middle-management! on November 11, 2009 at 9: 28 pm Merlin
We still have old fashioned performance targets which my own inspector is STILL desperately trying to get me on board with on September 16, 2009 at 8: 03 am Squaddie on tour
On Oct. 18, "the three accused confronted [the victim] outside her house and threatened her of dire consequences if she didn't repay the loan she had taken," said Gunshekhar, an inspector from the police station that made the arrest in rural Andhra Pradesh.
You are right that bribing a health inspector is conspiring with him to commit fraud, which is criminal activity.
My inspector is one of those career minded nob-heads who will be the first against the wall if I had my way. on February 5, 2010 at 1: 37 am allcoppedout
SUSPENDED, after a swoop from Professional standards d***heads, sorry department. this chief inspector is reasonably high up in the disposal and management of offenders, and shes allowed to remain at work, despite the arrest and allegation being that of a dishinesty offence????? yep, the world has gone mad and im reminded of it everyday … … … on December 2, 2009 at 10: 43 am Olivers Army
A BCC (Brisbane City Council) parking inspector is a subhuman blend of troll and gremlin.
A former chief United Nations weapons inspector is accused of contacting what he thought was a 15-year-old girl in an Internet chat room, engaging in a sexual conversation and showing himself masturbating on a Web camera.
A UN weapons inspector is sent to investigate the find, teaming with a space station crew, when a powerful conglomerate moves in to exploit the discovery.