from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male ass or donkey.
- n. A foolish or stupid person; a blockhead: "You've acted like an irrational jackass and it's time you stopped” ( Margaret Truman).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A male donkey.
- n. A foolish or stupid person.
- n. An inappropriately rude or obnoxious person.
- proper n. A jack and an ace as a starting hand in Texas hold 'em due to phonetic similarity
- v. To behave very obnoxiously.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The male ass; a donkey.
- n. A conceited dolt; a perverse blockhead; -- disparaging and offensive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A male ass; a jack.
- n. Hence A very stupid or ignorant person: used in contempt.
- n. Nautical, same as hawse-bag.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. male donkey
- n. a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Note to editor: If I can't say the word 'jackass' substitute the word 'jerk', but I really do mean 'jackass'.
There's no more use of the word "jackass," which created a mild controversy over the original.
I was just watching the new Hancock trailer again and I noticed that "jackass" is used twice in that trailer alone.
Lem, neocon may or may not be shorthand for Jews in some media circles, but in any circle you encounter, "jackass" is shorthand for Joe Klein.
What kind of jackass is STILL packing scissors when he/she goes on a flight?
As far as I can tell this jackass is just a garden variety bum.
But still, the fact that so many in Minnesota saw fit to elect a man less qualified than a braying jackass is quite troubling.
This bird is commonly called the jackass penguin, from its habit, while on shore, of throwing its head backwards, and making a loud strange noise, very like the braying of an ass; but while at sea, and undisturbed, its note is very deep and solemn, and is often heard in the night-time.
This bird is commonly called the jackass penguin, from its habit, while on shore, of throwing its head backwards, and making a loud strange noise, very like the braying of an ass; but while at sea, and undisturbed, its note is very deep and solemn, and is often heard in the nighttime.
 Some historians suggest the jackass was born 1828 when Jackson was sometimes called a jackass by his opponents as a play on his name.