from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An Inuit or Eskimo boat consisting of a light wooden frame covered with watertight skins except for a single or double opening in the center, and propelled by a double-bladed paddle.
- n. A lightweight canoe that is similar in design.
- intransitive v. To go, travel, or race in a kayak.
- transitive v. To go or travel on (a body of water) by kayak: kayaked rapids of the Colorado River.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of small boat, powered by the occupant or occupants using a double-bladed paddle in a sitting position.
- v. to use a kayak, to travel or race in a kayak
- v. to traverse a body of water by kayak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light canoe, made of skins stretched over a frame, and usually capable of carrying but one person, who sits amidships and uses a double-bladed paddle. It is peculiar to the Eskimos and other Arctic tribes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greenland, a light fishing-boat, made of sealskins stretched over a wooden frame, having in the middle of the upper side an opening to receive the fisherman, who wraps himself in a flap of sealskin, which is laced close around the hole to prevent the penetration of water.
- To hunt or travel in a kayak. Eskimo kayaking near Amadjuak Bay, Baffinland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. travel in a small canoe
- n. a small canoe consisting of a light frame made watertight with animal skins; used by Eskimos
Inuit, a language of the Eskimo-Aleut family that, via Danish, gave Global English the word kayak, now has fewer than fifty thousand speakers.
No – a sea kayak is a closed one person boat designed specifically for the ocean.
My sea kayak is all I need, has minimal storage and loops for a fishing pole – picture me as old man of the sea.
It's not surprising that kayaks are such excellent fishing craft-after all, the kayak is the original stalker's boat.
My kayak is a stable platform that allows me to fish comfortably, to move from time to time, and to distance myself from other fishermen.
Jackson kayak is located at Rock island, Tennessee, home of the ultimate freestyle hole, and the Brave wave.
In last three and half years it has equalized and exceeded it status with one of the leading and well-known names in kayak making.
Jackson kayak is not a very old name but definitely the most talked about and famous name.
I mean, when do I consider my job done is when I take a kayak from the borders of Turkey and land in Dubai's (ph) two weeks later.
In the individual races, four athletes reached semifinals: Scott Parsons (20th) and Brett Heyl (24th) in kayak, and Jeff Larimer (18th) and Austin Crane (23rd) in canoe.