from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Possible to read or decipher: legible handwriting.
- adj. Plainly discernible; apparent: legible weaknesses in character and disposition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being clear enough to be read, readable, particularly for handwriting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being read or deciphered; distinct to the eye; plain; -- used of writing or printing.
- adj. Capable of being discovered or understood by apparent marks or indications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That may be read; written plainly or in intelligible characters: as, a legible manuscript.
- Hence That may be discovered or discerned by marks or indications.
- Synonyms Readable, recognizable, plain, manifest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of handwriting, print, etc.) capable of being read or deciphered
Who heard of making the title legible only by opening the book up and looking at both sides?
The teacher became preoccupied with the presentation of the OHPs, making sure they were laid out clearly and legible from the back of the class, as they would be unable to effect significant changes on the fly.
The plane was sitting on the tarmac, yards away, the livery's colours distorted by the bright sunshine, but the name legible on the fuselage: Freebird.
Solomon was celebrated for wisdom, but folly is write in legible characters upon his almost every action.
He starts Ch. 9 by talking about the "literary experience" of Whole Foods: making the food chain "legible" -
In the upper left-hand corner, a name was legible: Miracles for the Masses.
The illustration is probably of Smolin's "fecund universe" it's not really legible, which is a rather different idea.
She had to grip the cheap ballpoint pen hard in order to make her name a legible scrawl.
In this favourable position for hearing all that passed, I noted, in terms legible and in abbreviations and marks intelligible to myself, what was read from the
In this favorable position for hearing all that passed I noted down, in terms legible and in abbreviations and marks intelligible to myself, what was read from the chair or spoken by the members, and losing not