from The Century Dictionary.

  • In glass manufacturing, to shape by means of a marver. Also maver.
  • noun In glass manufacturing, a slab or tablet, originally of marble, but now generally of polished cast-iron, placed on a suitable support or stand, and used by the glass-blower to impart, by rolling and pressing, a cylindrical form to the fused glass gathered upon the end of the blowpipe.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Glass Marking) A stone, or cast-iron plate, or former, on which hot glass is rolled to give it shape.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun glassblowing A flat heat-proof surface, on which a gather of glass is rolled into shape.
  • verb To roll glass on a marver.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word marver.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • (n.) A flat steel plate used for picking up color chips or shaping molten glass on the end of a blowpipe or pipe with a rolling action.

    August 6, 2009

  • as in marve(luste)r??

    January 4, 2013