from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A large drinking bowl or goblet made of metal or hard wood.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The maple tree, or maple wood.
  • n. A large drinking bowl made from such wood; a mazer bowl.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A large drinking bowl; -- originally made of maple.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Hard mottled wood, understood to be maple, formerly used in making the bowls or goblets hence called mazers.
  • n. A bowl or large drinking-cup without a foot, of maple or other hard wood, and often richly decorated with carving and mounted with silver or other metal.
  • n. The head; the skull or brain-box: same as mazard, 2.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a large hardwood drinking bowl


Middle English, from Old French masere, kind of wood, maple burl, of Germanic origin.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman mazer, Old French mazre ("a kind of maple wood"), from a Germanic source cognate with Old High German masar (German Maser ("spot")), Icelandic mösurr ("maple"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.