from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The thirteenth letter of many Semitic alphabets/abjads (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic and others).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of memorandum, placed before a note of something to be remembered.
- n. The thirteenth letter () in the Hebrew alphabet, corresponding to the English masculine Its numerical value is XL.
- n. An abbreviation of member;
- n. of the Latin memento, remember;
- n. of memoir.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet
They burn out because people stop writing about them … if you think a mem is worth spending time on and don’t write about, you’re part of the problem.
Besides, the presence of the yodh may well be due to the formative ending mem, which is generally the sign of abstract nouns.
* Mélbən, cf Mílburn, BrE * Mílbən méltdown noun one word meménto remember cf.
Those devices that allow the user to to set the memory base use a global variable called mem, and then set the mem_end address appropriately themselves.
This may sound like a small thing for every hacker out there, but it also seems like the new release will bring along official support for virtual mem, which is a pretty nice thing to have on such a low mem device.
For testing, I set up a new Rails project called mem: rails mem
Just for some clarification it's pronounced the same way "mem" would be such as in the word "memory".
I subscribe to the tech'mem'd world of quality sources, not quantity.
I always assumed it was pronounced "mem" like the French word for 'same' because a meme repeats itself over and over.
The person or board issuing such permits shall forthwith give notice to the head of the police department of the municipality and to the registrar of the name, place of residence and address of each person to whom such permit is issued and the name of the maker, the engine number and the registration number of each vehicle upon which the red light is to be displayed, and said person or board shall certify under penalties of perjury that each person to whom a permit has been issued is a duly authorized fire ward, forest harden, deputy forest warden, member, or call mem - ber of a fire department.