from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An offensive smell; a stench.
- n. A poisonous or foul-smelling gas emitted from the earth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A poisonous or foul smelling gas emitted from the earth
- n. A distinctive odour that is very unpleasant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Noxious, pestilential, or foul exhalations from decomposing substances, filth, or other source.
- n. A genus of mammals, including the skunks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pestilential exhalation, especially from the earth; any noxious or ill-smelling emanation, as from putrid or filthy substances; a noisome or poisonous stench.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of skunks, typical of the subfamily Mephitinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a distinctive odor that is offensively unpleasant
- n. a poisonous or foul smelling gas emitted from the earth
- n. in some classifications: type genus of the subfamily Mephitinae
Few, on either side of the political spectrum, come well out of the affair and over it all hangs the olid mephitis of abject appeasement.
This indulgence, especially so on the part of an ex-president, is something of a mephitis, an abyssal seeking of ever lower depths and ever more perverse rhetorical indulgences.
I ventured "putrid miasma" on one thread a few days ago, but "moral mephitis"?
Michael B (8th Jan 4005pm) "an intellectual and moral mephitis."
The MSM's reportage on Israel, Hamas, Hezbollah, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, regimes such as Iran and Syria, etc. reflects, all too predictably and all too typically, a revulsion, an intellectual and moral mephitis. simon bacchini
Does not the pungent mephitis of hypocrisy once more effortlessly wheeze from this humbugger of a politician?
During the night drive we encountered cottontails (Sylvilagus nuttali), black-tailed jackrabbits (Lepus californicus), pinyon mice (Peromyscus trueii), and one striped skunk (Mephitis mephitis)!
After their removal from Office, this pair of common skunks with apologies to Mephitis mephitis can then be tried for their many war criminals and then for 9-11 High Treason… The rest of their gang of war-idiots will be convicted of their many supporting crimes…
Sniffing cautiously, I deduced that the barrels I saw contained-among other things-salt fish, tar, apples, beer, and sauerkraut, while bundles of woolen blankets dyed with cochineal and indigo, kegs of black powder, and half-tanned hides reeking of dog turds lent their own peculiar fragrances to the unique mephitis within.
Instantly a cone of black mephitis shot forth, a loathsome, bituminous stream of putrefaction that reeked of the grave and the cesspool, of the utmost reaches of decay before the dust accepts the disintegrated atoms.