from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A measure of a body's resistance to angular acceleration, equal to:
- n. The product of the mass of a particle and the square of its distance from a reference.
- n. The sum of the products of each mass element of a body multiplied by the square of its distance from an axis.
- n. The sum of the products of each element of an area multiplied by the square of its distance from a coplanar axis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A measure of a body's resistance to a change in its angular rotation velocity
- n. A measure of a body's resistance to bending; second moment of inertia; second moment of area.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. of a rotating body, the sum of the mass of each particle of matter of the body into the square of its distance from the axis of rotation; -- called also moment of rotation and moment of the mass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the tendency of a body to resist angular acceleration
Sorry, no etymologies found.