from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a stepmother.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a stepmother.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Done or recurring every ninth year.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a stepmother; suitable to, or in the manner of, a stepmother.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a stepmother; suitable to a stepmother; step-motherly.
By a pathetic fallacy their capacity to suffer is measured by their apparent power to enjoy, and those are moved to tears by the spectacle of a Dauphin surrendered to the coarse and brutal tutelage of a sans-culotte, who read without emotion of thousands of Huguenot children torn from their mothers 'arms and flung to the novercal cruelties of strangers in blood and creed.
To that sister Lady Edgermond the second does not behave exactly in the traditionally novercal fashion, but she is scandalised by the girl's
But the nurse suffered the pangs of a baffled stepmother, and looked with novercal eyes of hatred and disgust upon little Sam that had stolen away the hearts of men and women from one that in _her_ eyes was a thousand times his superior.
Oh! may we soon blot out the reproach which that neglect has justly rendered us liable to, since we abolished the novercal government of Britain!