from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To bring into being; create: originated the practice of monthly reports.
- intransitive v. To come into being; start. See Synonyms at stem1.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To take first existence; to have origin or beginning; to begin to exist or act.
- transitive v. To give an origin or beginning to; to cause to be; to bring into existence; to produce as new.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give rise or origin to; supply or constitute the beginning or commencement of; initiate; set going; bring to pass; bring into existence; occasion; cause; create, artistically or intellectually; produce; invent.
- To designate or describe as taking (its) beginning; derive; deduce.
- To arise; take (its) rise; find a starting-point or source; begin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. bring into being
- v. begin a trip at a certain point, as of a plane, train, bus, etc.
- v. come into existence; take on form or shape
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
And what in the world -- where does the title originate?
What inspired your debut album 'Reach For The Sun' and where did the title originate from?
Slide 9: Underground Railroad Where did the term originate?
Strangely, too, he had the sense that the patient, Herod—and from where did such a name originate, or was it chosen as some bleak joke?
NOTE: We apologize for this inconvenience, but due to a high volume of various non-business related and unsolicited messages, emails sent to webhelp. email@example.com that did not originate from the Customer Support form will no longer be reviewed by our Customer Support Team.
– Rafiqis is gross, and I believe it to be something to do with the sauces since most gyro cones originate from a handful of vendors.
- Mexico Border, released earlier this month, found that 75% of the U.S. crime guns recovered in Mexico originate from the four border states - with roughly 40% originating from Texas alone.
The science of making a vagina out of a penis is pretty much perfect, because both the penis and vagina originate from the same tissue.
He let on just how much Nintendo relies on sentiment -- a sort of holistic cycle of positive feelings that originate from a small group of early adopters who instinctively "get it" and then spread the love.
September 10, 2009 at 12: 58 pm | Reply did this series originate from a book,