from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To prepare by mixing ingredients, as in cooking.
- transitive v. To devise, using skill and intelligence; contrive: concoct a mystery story.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to prepare something by mixing various ingredients, especially to prepare food for cooking
- v. to contrive something using skill or ingenuity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To digest; to convert into nourishment by the organs of nutrition.
- transitive v. To purify or refine chemically.
- transitive v. To prepare from crude materials, as food; to invent or prepare by combining different ingredients.
- transitive v. To digest in the mind; to devise; to make up; to contrive; to plan; to plot.
- transitive v. To mature or perfect; to ripen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To digest.
- To purify or sublime; refine by removing the gross or extraneous matter.
- To ripen; develop.
- To combine and prepare the materials of, as in cookery; hence, to get up, devise, plan, contrive, plot, etc.: as, to concoct a dinner or a bowl of punch; to concoct a scheme or a conspiracy.
- To mature; ripen.
- To digest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. devise or invent
- v. make a concoction (of) by mixing
- v. invent
- v. prepare or cook by mixing ingredients
Iraq, "concoct" - here I agree with you, but I couldn't come up with another word that adequately conveyed the idea that the US / UK had some agenda regarding Iraq.
You wouldn't concoct a word like "emsecurement" to describe the act of a man not beating his wife any more.
I mean there's a scenario you could concoct, which is, you know, Israel is striking a deal with Hamas, exchanging prisoners with Hezbollah, talking to Syria, talking to Egypt -- and then makes these military maneuvers.
The only way that I have been able to concoct is to use the black and gray pen colors and display the lineweights in model and paper space.
I have been able to concoct is to use the black and gray pen colors and display the lineweights in model and paper space.
However, religious leaders can "concoct" all they want.
Actually, there was a little bit of brainstorming with Adam and Shana Bryan, who was the producer on their side, to kind of concoct this really robust ... actually frighteningly robust backstory.
Colombo: Former Sri Lankan Prime Minister and opposition leader Ranil Wickremasinghe has slammed the government for detaining Gen Sarath Fonseka without charges, accusing it of trying to "concoct" evidence against the defeated presidential candidate.
I remain unaware, despite the assurances of Chris Floyd, that "revisionists like David Iriving" concoct "controversies".
But he dismissed calls for a post-ratification vote and said he would not "concoct" a