from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to diminish or put an end to conflict; appeasing.
- adj. Of a peaceful nature; tranquil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Calm, peaceful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to peace; of a peaceful character; not warlike; not quarrelsome
- adj. Promoting peace; suited to make or restore peace; conciliatory.
- adj. of or pertaining to the Pacific Ocean.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to make or restore peace; adapted to reconcile differences; peace-making; conciliatory; mild; appeasing: as, to offer pacific propositions to a belligerent power.
- Peaceful; not warlike: as, a man of pacific disposition.
- Characterized by peace or calm; calm; tranquil: as, a pacific state of things.
- [capitalized] Appellative of the ocean lying between the west coast of America and the east coast of Asia: so called on account of the exemption from violent, tempests which early navigators supposed it to enjoy; hence, relating to or connected with that ocean.
- =Syn. 1-3. Pacific, Peaceable, Peaceful, gentle, quiet, smooth, unruffled. Pacific, making or desiring to make peace; peaceable, desiring to be at peace, free from the disposition to quarrel; peaceful, in a state of peace.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. disposed to peace or of a peaceful nature
- n. the largest ocean in the world
- adj. relating to or bordering the Pacific Ocean
- adj. promoting peace
It could be very significant, however, but they don't anticipate that it's going to be moving out throughout the pacific, and so it won't be what we call a pacific wide tsunami.
So with warships he and his allies established what he called a pacific blockade on Venezuelan ports.
So, which is it, global warming causeing snow storms on the east coast or unusually warm weather in pacific North West?
But the pacific is only a miniseries, so it's not really fair to compare other tv series to that.
Ask anyone that fought in pacific if they would have wanted to root japs out of caves without a flame thrower!!!
Americanism, untainted and unvarnished by a hyphen or an "ism," especially when the word pacific precedes the latter.
"person" but yet in 1886 in Southern pacific v Santa Clara County, Corporations were declared
Getting across the pacific is a big 24 hour fixed cost followed by jet lag.
Prete Goy Era · May 20th, 2004 at 10:29 pm ariela, mamash atsuv. the pic did look kinda tropical - or pacific, which is the next best place to the autobahn to drive a porsche boxter?
-- Such sacrifices, therefore, as were offered either on occasion of blessings received, or to obtain new favours, were called pacific or peace offerings.