from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not disturbed; calm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not disturbed or agitated
- adj. calm
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Free from disturbance or interruption; not molested or hindered: as, undisturbed with company or noise; undisturbed friendly relations.
- Not agitated; hence, free from perturbation of mind; calm; tranquil; placid; serene; composed: as, undisturbed by danger.
- Synonyms Quiet, peaceful, unmoved, unruffled.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. untroubled by interference or disturbance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A very likely answer is that there is a thermocline, a layering effect where the upper, changeable parts of a body of water separate out from the deeper, colder, temperature-stable areas; these remain undisturbed for long periods of time.
Turn off the oven, and let the pot remain undisturbed for an additional 10 minutes.
The spectacle of animals grazing peacefully while birds peck away at them undisturbed is a familiar one in South Africa.
Deep beneath the Nebraska prairie lurks a vast bunker that has lain undisturbed for nearly four decades.
* And my vote for best news story of this or any year: Tiny Swiss watch found in undisturbed 400-year-old tomb.
Footprints left on the Moon by astronauts could remain undisturbed for centuries.
And, besides, he had a longing to make himself a home, where he could pursue his calling undisturbed, and indulge the sweets of domestic and rural life, which of all things lay nearest his heart.
May Sweden be permitted to develop in undisturbed peace her arts and her science and her democratic forms and may she thereby continue, as she has done in the past, to set a standard for the rest of the world.
For quite long periods, at any rate, people can remain undisturbed by obvious lies, either because they simply forget what is said from day to day or because they are under such a constant propaganda bombardment that they become anaesthetized to the whole business.
The water was perfectly calm, so that its entire surface lay in undisturbed rest, save the narrow strips where the boat had gone forward.