from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A rubber or plastic nipple or teething ring for a baby to suck or chew on.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who pacifies.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who or that which pacifies.
  • noun A small device, usually of rubber or plastic containing a protruding nipple-shaped portion which a baby may place in its mouth and suck on; -- it is used to keep babies contented.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun someone who tries to bring peace
  • noun device used for an infant to suck or bite on
  • noun anything that serves to pacify


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From pacify +‎ -er.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word pacifier.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.