from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that makes or keeps something stable.
  • noun A device, such as a gyroscopically controlled fin, that prevents excessive rolling of a ship in heavy seas.
  • noun An airfoil that stabilizes an aircraft or missile in flight.
  • noun Chemistry A substance that renders or maintains a solution, mixture, suspension, or state resistant to chemical change.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Agent noun of stabilize; any person or thing which brings stability.
  • noun Any substance added to something in order to stabilize it.
  • noun A gyroscopically controlled fin or similar device that prevents the excess rolling of a ship in rough seas.
  • noun An airfoil that stabilizes the flight of an aircraft or missile.
  • noun textiles A piece of backing fabric used in embroidery.
  • noun in the plural, UK training wheels on a child's bicycle.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a chemical that is added to a solution or mixture or suspension to maintain it in a stable or unchanging state
  • noun a device for making something stable
  • noun airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word stabilizer.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.