from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small room or closet, usually off a kitchen, where food, tableware, linens, and similar items are stored.
- n. A small room used for the preparation of cold foods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small room, closet, or cabinet usually located in or near the kitchen, dedicated to food storage and/or storing kitchenware. Since the pantry is not typically temperature-controlled (unlike a refrigerator or root cellar), the foods stored in a pantry are usually shelf-stable staples such as grains, flours, and preserved foods.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apartment or closet in which bread and other provisions are kept.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office of a pantler.
- n. An apartment or closet in which provisions are kept, or where plate and knives, etc., are cleaned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small storeroom for storing foods or wines
Filling a coffee-pot and frying-pan with part of my plunder, and taking some chinaware from the cabin pantry, I left Wolf Larsen lying in the sun and went ashore.
And yet ... and yet ... when it's all said and done and autumn winds chill the night air, what we're left with, besides a stocked-up pantry, is a deep feeling of strength and satisfaction.
Dried beans are cheap, high-protein pantry staples.
Hmm-I think the problem may be compounded by the fact that the pantry is in the same small room as the clothes washer, which no doubt generates humidity even in dry season.
Haha, at least half the stuff in my pantry is no name/store name or practically no name brands too.
And all I can see in the pantry is FKN sundried bananas.
This was a nod to my O.B.E. (blogs passim: Old Brand Excess) where life is enriched by certain pantry staples.
And companies are still reeling from lower sales volumes that began in 2008 with what some dub pantry deloading.
Manju, the thought of moving my freezer and pantry is terrorizing, even after a month of not buying a thing.
I imagine where the pantry is now, and behind that is a closet off the family room -- that's a chunk of space.