from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A basin-shaped structure of the vertebrate skeleton, composed of the innominate bones on the sides, the pubis in front, and the sacrum and coccyx behind, that rests on the lower limbs and supports the spinal column.
- n. The cavity formed by this structure.
- n. The hollow funnel in the outlet of the kidney, into which urine is discharged before entering the ureter. Also called renal pelvis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The large compound bone structure at the base of the spine that supports the legs. It consists of hip bone, sacrum and coccyx.
- n. A funnel-shaped cavity, especially such a cavity in the kidney into which urine passes towards the ureter
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pelvic arch, or the pelvic arch together with the sacrum. See Pelvic arch, under pelvic, and sacrum.
- n. The calyx of a crinoid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bony basin forming the most inferior of posterior one of the three great cavities—thoracic, abdominal, and pelvic—of the trunk of most terrestrial vertebrates.
- n. Hence Some pelviform structure or cuplike part.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of mollusks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a structure shaped like a funnel in the outlet of the kidney into which urine is discharged before passing into the ureter
- n. the structure of the vertebrate skeleton supporting the lower limbs in humans and the hind limbs or corresponding parts in other vertebrates
In advanced cases the pelvis becomes obliquely contracted -- a deformity known as the _scoliotic pelvis_.
My pelvis is giving me so much pain, I had physio before and it did nothing, painkillers take the edge off and then I end up in excruciating pain from overdoing it.
A picture of the chest, abdomen and/or pelvis is taken to look for the spread/extent of disease.
Because my misaligned pelvis is spreading about as gracefully as a giraffe on ice skates, I hurt a lot.
The change of angle means that his pelvis is grinding directly against her clitoris, and somehow he is managing to hit her g-spot inside as well.
She gives him tiny, cat-like flicks as she explores his teeth and when the tip brushes the roof of his mouth his pelvis is suddenly pushing strongly into her, his erection hard and full against her.
Your pelvis is a powerful base of support; honoring this space will increase its capacity to support you physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Leveling your pelvis is a great exercise for those of you with lower back problems because it strengthens your abs while relaxing your back muscles.
Your pelvis is a big bone, more likely to fracture as a result of that.
These organs lie inside the lower part of the abdomen, called the pelvis, and are protected by bones and muscles (see Figure 3.1).