plethysmograph love


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An instrument that measures variations in the size of an organ or body part on the basis of the amount of blood passing through or present in the part.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for obtaining tracings indicating the changes in the volume of a part of the body, especially as dependent on the circulation of blood in it.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Physiol.) An instrument for determining and registering the variations in the size or volume of a limb, as the arm or leg, and hence the variations in the amount of blood in the limb.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun medicine An instrument for measuring changes in volume within an organ or whole body (usually via fluctuations in the amount of fluid it contains).

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a measuring instrument for measuring changes in volume of a part or organ or whole body (usually resulting from fluctuations in the amount of blood it contains)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Greek plēthusmos, increase (from plēthūnein, to increase, from plēthūs, quantity, from plēthein, to be full; see pelə- in Indo-European roots) + –graph.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word plethysmograph.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • It seems as if in the early days this was very uncomfortable, as the plethysmograph was described as "a rigid airtight container enclosing the subject entirely except for (the) head and neck."

    July 9, 2008

  • There was a plethora of these in the early days.

    July 9, 2008

  • The genitals of the volunteers were connected to plethysmographs — for the men, an apparatus that fits over the penis and gauges its swelling; for the women, a little plastic probe that sits in the vagina and, by bouncing light off the vaginal walls, measures genital blood flow.

    New York Times, 22 January 2009

    January 24, 2009