from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for collecting and measuring the quantity of water that falls in rain, snow, etc., at a particular place; a rain-gage. See cut in next column.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An instrument for ascertaining the amount of rainfall at any place in a given time; a rain gauge.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun meteorology A scientific instrument for measuring the amount of rainfall.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun gauge consisting of an instrument to measure the quantity of precipitation


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Probably from French pluviomètre : Latin pluvia, rain; see pluvious + -mètre, -meter.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word pluviometer.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Rain gauge. Also called udometer.

    September 14, 2007

  • I'm wonderin' whether barack obameter sparked this addition? ;o)

    September 14, 2007

  • Utterly serendipitous--but funny, now that you mention it. :-)

    September 15, 2007