from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mixture of aromatic substances enclosed in a bag or box as a protection against odor or infection, formerly worn on one's person but now usually placed in a dresser drawer or closet.
- n. A case, box, or bag for holding this mixture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mixture of aromatic substances, made into a ball and carried as a protection against infection
- n. An orange, studded with cloves, hung in a wardrobe to provide a sweet smell
- n. A case in which an aromatic ball was carried
- n. A perforated container filled with pot-pourri for placing in a wardrobe etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A perfume to be carried with one, often in the form of a ball.
- n. A box to contain such perfume, formerly carried by ladies, as at the end of a chain; -- more properly pomander box.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A perfume-ball, or a mixture of perfumes, formerly carried in the pocket or suspended from the neck or the girdle, especially as an amulet, or to prevent infection in time of plague.
- n. A hollow ball or round box used for carrying about the person the ball above described, and sometimes pierced with small openings to allow the perfume to escape.
Well, you might keep the pomander, which is pure gold engraved with ancient signs and the name of the Shining Dawn, Dahana, in Sanskrit characters.
The resulting pomander ball was incredibly fragrant and it only took a couple to infuse almost the whole house with a very subtle smell of orange and cloves, a scent that I associate with the holidays as much as eggnog, hot cocoa, wood-burning fireplaces and peppermint candy canes.
Its campy as Xena, with an even lower budget, and it would actually be massive fun except for the fact that the director apparently felt the need to compensate for the awesomeness of the power pomander girlz (hey, its set in 1190) by staging the most disturbing rape scene i've seen since Antonia's Line not even 10 minutes into the movie.
The Orange and Clove Snowballs I made recently were cookies that featured the flavors of both orange and clove, chosen because I often made orange pomander balls around the holidays as a child (and still do!) and I really associate the season with the warm, spicy scent combination.
Usually the craft was orange and clove pomander balls.
If you have a knitting needle, you can stick a piece of ribbon just underneath the skin, then tie a loop so you can hang the pomander, on a tree or elsewhere.
Arrows studded his corpse like cloves stuck in a pomander orange.
Lady Browne toyed with her pomander ball until he went away.
A moment later, the pomander ball Lady Browne wore suspended from her waist by a long chain flew upward to strike Tom on the side of the head with a dull thump.
In 1522, Cardinal Wolsey gave her a gold cross, the Countess of Devon sent two silver flagons; and the princess 'aunt, Mary the French Queen, gave her solid gold pomander.