from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or being a sleeve that extends in one piece to the neckline of the garment, with slanted seams from the armhole to the neck.
- n. A garment, such as an overcoat or a sweater, that has raglan sleeves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Continuing in one piece up to the neck of a garment, without a shoulder seam.
- adj. Having sleeves of this type.
- n. An overcoat with sleeves of this type.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loose overcoat with large sleeves; -- named after Lord Raglan, an English general who was an aide-de-camp to Wellington at Waterlooo.
- n. An overcoat with raglan sleeves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of loose overcoat, having very full sleeves, or a sort of cape covering the arms, worn about 1855 and later.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a garment (coat or sweater) that has raglan sleeves
Where I grew up a raglan is a type of sweater (jumper to Brits) with a particular style of shoulder seam.
I do agree, Knititch, that knitting a circular raglan is fun because of the way it goes faster and faster.
Seriously, the beauty of a top-down raglan is that you can try it on as you go and make fit decisions on the fly.
Amy DeVoogd Here's an easy solution: a quilted nylon barn jacket with a boxy cut and loose or raglan sleeves.
I have a slight stoop at my back neck, so I jammed a bunch of short rows in the back section of the yoke between the raglan lines.
Consider narrow Henley-collar knit tops with angled raglan sleeves, which are roomier for muscular guys.
Wearing his tweed overcoat with its raglan sleeves and a narrow-brimmed hat, brim down, Dick was Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant in a Hitchcock movie.
Nice simple things like mittens and hats, with the odd jumper (mindless raglan in the round) thrown in for good measure.
It took only 2 and a half days from start to finish and is really just a little raglan jumper with a (slightly) fancy bottom.
Ski masks (balaclavas), cardigan sweaters and raglan sleeve coats are in fact fashion legacies of the Crimean War.