from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of coloured marble from Belgium. Rance is red and often has white or blue graining.
- n. A prop or shore.
- n. A round or spreader between the legs of a chair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A prop or shore.
- n. A round between the legs of a chair; also called a spreader.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To shore or prop.
- An obsolete form of Rhenish.
- n. A shore or prop acting as a strut for the support of something, as of a Congreve rocket.
- n. One of the cross-bars between the legs of a chair.
- n. An unknown hard mineral or fine stone, supposed to be some sort of marble.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In the manner of Derrida insisting that différance is not a concept, Nagarjuna insisted that anyone who accepted his philosophy as a belief was incurably insane.
Although the cultural dimension of nature's meaning has always been a product of human artifice, the scope of physical changes underway in today's global weather systems, increasingly ubiquitous genetically modified organisms, and in continually shrinking habitat for endangered species all suggest that nature's material "différance" is being effaced by humanity on an unprecedented scale.
What I have called "pacigérance" is clearly part of the larger struggle for civilization which is progressing on an increasingly broad front: it is civilization's battle between rule by law and rule by power.
It is observed by Venturi, that the word "rance" does not here signify
Christie's Images In Tahiti in 1901, Paul Gauguin painted "Nature morte à 'L'Esp é rance,'" which is estimated at £ 7 million- £ 10 million.
Khaled Desouki/Agence rance-Presse/Getty Images Egyptians demanding the ouster of Mr. Mubarak took cover from armed forces in Suez, east of Cairo.
In a similar vein, Espérance-Francois Bulayumi at Mbokamosika [FR] wonders:
There has been much publicity over his determined bulldozing of Roma encampments and the expelling of their inhabitants from F rance.
I wear hearing protection at the rance and when plinking or shooting clay birds, but not when hunting.
Immortal Shrine/ Eternal Silence 1928 depicted ghostly soldiers marching past the cenotaph in London on Remembrance Day 1928.