from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a curve or arc, especially in architecture or in the design of a ship
  • v. To raise, to elevate - Lydgate

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See hanse.
  • n. A sudden fall or break, as the fall of the fife rail down to the gangway.
  • transitive v. To raise; to elevate.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To raise; elevate; increase; enhance.
  • n. In architecture, same as haunch, 6: by older writers more especially applied to the lower part, above the springing, of three- and four- centered arches
  • n. to a small arch by which a straight lintel is sometimes united to its jamb or impost.
  • n. pl. Naut., falls of the fife-rails placed on balusters on the poop and quarterdeck down to the gangway.
  • n. See hanse.


See “enhance” (Wiktionary)
Anglo-Norman, from Old French haulce. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.