from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A turning or tilting backward.
- n. The state of being turned or tilted back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or condition of being retroverted.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A turning or bending backward; also, the state of being turned or bent backward; displacement backwards.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tilting or turning backward: as, retroversion of vertebral processes: especially applied in gynecology to an inclination of the uterus backward with the retention of its normal curve: opposed to anteversion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. returning to a former state
- n. translation back into the original language
- n. a turning or tilting backward of an organ or body part
Analloiotos, 'unchangeable' appears in Basil and is paralleled in the Antiochene creed of 325 (with the usual caution about Greek retroversion).
Constipation may be caused by retroversion of the uterus.
For, as the action of writing is performed by bending the thumb forward, the retroversion or bending back of that joint did not unaptly point to the opposite of that action, implying that it was the will of the audience that the author should _write no more: _ a much more significant, as well as more humane, way of expressing-that desire, than our custom of hissing, which is altogether senseless and indefensible.
An extreme degree of anteversion or anteflexion, or retroversion or retroflexion, may interfere with impregnation, as the spermatozoa may find it difficult or impossible to reach the opening of the womb -- the external os.
It seemed to me that was just as much of a retroversion of the theory of what is right in our Government as there could possibly be.
There was constant and imperious excitement, with the sense of vibration, tension, pressure, dilatation and tickling, accompanied, it may be, by some ovarian congestion, for she felt that on the left side there was a network of sexual nerves, and retroversion of the uterus was detected some years later.
(Exercises for anteversion and retroversion supplied by a successful teacher of such work.)
ANTEVERSION: -- Persons suffering from anteversion or retroversion should sleep without pillows under the head, and lie flat upon the back; they should sit with the feet as high as convenient and avoid high seats which hinder the feet from touching the floor.
There are three kinds of displacements: anteversion, retroversion, and prolapsus.
The most common forms of displacement resulting from self-abuse, are retroflexion and retroversion, which are usually accompanied by congestion and enlargement of the womb, catarrh of the lining membrane of the womb, and relaxation of the vagina.