from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The blunt area of a sword just above the hilt, used for grip and maneuverability.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. That part of the blade of a rapier which is included between the outermost guard (see cup-guard, counter-guard) and the cross-guard, or the point of connection between the blade and the hilt.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Known in German as Fehlscharfe

    May 8, 2009

  • This is the piece of the sword used for bludgeoning heads into abstract portraits.

    October 20, 2008

  • The unedged section of a sword's blade, just above the guard.

    October 3, 2007