from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of competing or emulating.
- n. The state or condition of being a rival.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The relationship between two or more rivals who regularly compete with each other. The term usually applies to two rivals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of rivaling, or the state of being a rival; a competition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rivaling; competition; a strife or effort to obtain an object which another is pursuing: as, rivalry in love; an endeavor to equal or surpass another in some excellence; emulation: as, rivalry for superiority at the bar or in the senate.
- n. Synonyms Competition, etc. See emulation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of competing as for profit or a prize
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The fans feel otherwise - and so far the rivalry is as lopsided as they come.
I now understand fully what this rivalry is about.
This rivalry is almost as one-sided as the Sox-Yanks: Montreal has won 23 Stanley Cups to five for Boston, with the Canadiens having captured seven titles since the Bruins won their last one in 1972.
The word "rivalry" is hardly sufficient to describe the bare-knuckled hostility that has characterized relations between the two companies during the cardiac stent wars over the past decade and a half.
The OSU-Michigan rivalry is one of the most heated in the country, and Fisher hopes that his identity as a "proud Ohioan" will earn him some of the votes he needs to erase his deficit in the polls.
In terms of national attention, the Caps-Pens rivalry is the NHL's top attraction.
This Steelers vs. Ravens rivalry is one of the most fun to watch in the NFL, and this game was hard-hitting and low-scoring, as many predicted.
The rivalry is not much of a contest these days, with historic insecurity and armies of fear-mongers.
China rivalry is being played out over Sudan's uncertain future.
Don't kid yourself: there is a Crosby vs. Ovechkin rivalry and there's a Malkin vs. Ovechkin rivalry.