from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the ischium or to the region of the hipbone in which it is located.
- adj. Of or relating to sciatica.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to the ischium.
- adj. Of, or relating to sciatica.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the hip; in the region of, or affecting, the hip; ischial; ischiatic.
- n. Sciatica.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, connected with, or issuing from the hip; ischiac, ischiadic, or ischiatic: as, the sciatic nerve, artery, vein, or ligament.
- Affecting parts about the hip, especially the sciatic nerve; affected with or suffering from sciatica.
- n. A sciatic part or organ; especially, a sciatic nerve.
- n. plural Sciatica.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or caused by or afflicted with sciatica
- adj. of or relating to the ischium (or the part of the hipbone containing it)
That back of mine, he wrote John Morris in June 1953, continues to hurt and the third professor to examine him found that I had a displaced disk in my vertebrae which inflamed the so-called sciatic nerve and the pain was and is unbearable.
Thus a better indicator is something called the sciatic notch, which is in the stronger, posterior section of these large bones.
The other notches, one on either side, are formed by the sacrum and coccyx behind, the ischium in front, and the ilium above; they are called the sciatic notches; in the natural state they are converted into foramina by the sacrotuberous and sacrospinous ligaments.
"The best results for percutaneous discectomy are in patients that we would commonly call sciatic type pain.
There are no damaged disks, the nerves are all back in place (including the sciatic nerve), the core of the spine is perfect, and the outside shell of the spine is perfect.
A friend recently called a doctor to make an appointment for an epidural shot for his sciatic back pain.
The British No1 suffers with liver problems, which held her back in the early years of her career, and has been troubled by injuries, requiring a back operation due to a prolapsed disc and sciatic pain in 2006.
Further experiments showed that HCN2-deleted mice and control mice with a minor sciatic nerve injury exhibited different responses to extreme temperatures and stimuli that would normally enhance neuropathic pain.
Likewise, exercise can stimulate injured neurons to regenerate their axons; animals that exercise regenerate significantly more sciatic nerve axons than sedentary animals.
The sciatic nerve in the butt and back of the thigh can also be easily damaged, more so when men carry a bulky wallet in the rear pocket.