from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A ridge of land rising between two furrows: sometimes applied to the half-acre strips in the open-field system, which were separated by such ridges.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun Obs. or Prov. Eng. A short piece of land in arable ridges and furrows, of uncertain quantity; also, a ridge of land lying between two furrows.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun dated A mediaeval open strip of land or small field used for growing crops


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Old French seillon a measure of land, French sillon a ridge, furrow, Latin selio a measure of land.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word selion.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • furrow divide?

    July 9, 2012

  • selionows

    July 10, 2012