from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Partially automatic.
- adj. Ejecting a shell and loading the next round of ammunition automatically, but requiring a squeeze of the trigger for each shot. Used of a firearm.
- n. A semiautomatic firearm. Also called self-loader.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of semi-automatic.
- n. Alternative spelling of semi-automatic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of firearms) capable of automatic loading and firing continuously
- n. a pistol that is a semiautomatic firearm capable of loading and firing continuously
- adj. partially automatic
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Do they make a .458 Lott in semiautomatic with a 30 round clip?
Bender declined to say when or how the boy got the gun, which was identified as a semiautomatic 9 mm Kel-Tec.
A semiautomatic is defined as a weapon that is not fully automatic, and thus not a machine gun.
I believe they call a semiautomatic SKS carbine an assault rifle, unless you normally hunt deer with old Russian military guns.
.45 single-action revolver, sometimes called a semiautomatic, which Carol Brunkella's attorney, Thomas J. Nathan, told the Tribune is known to have a sensitive trigger and to be prone to accidental discharge.
o More than 90 percent of the 226 rifles named could be identified as semiautomatic assault rifles, primarily AK-47 and AR-15 variants.
But some members are resisting a proposal to make the imposition of sanctions that break the rules "semiautomatic," while others want efforts to reduce pension liabilities and private-sector debt levels to be taken into account when assessing a nation 's fiscal health.
Stop selling weapons that are attractive to criminals, such as semiautomatic assault weapons or those with large-capacity magazines.
A budget reduction also could cut into efforts to require firearms dealers in border states to report multiple sales of the kind of semiautomatic long guns favored by the cartels.
I make a counter-bet: $1000 to anyone who can show me the word 'semiautomatic' in the Second Amendment.