from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. A scene or condition of complete disorder or ruin: "The economy was in a shambles” ( W. Bruce Lincoln).
- n.pl. Great clutter or jumble; a total mess: made dinner and left the kitchen a shambles.
- n.pl. A place or scene of bloodshed or carnage.
- n.pl. A scene or condition of great devastation.
- n.pl. A slaughterhouse.
- n.pl. Archaic A meat market or butcher shop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a scene of great disorder or ruin
- n. a great mess or clutter
- n. a scene of bloodshed, carnage or devastation
- n. a slaughterhouse
- n. a butcher's shop
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of shamble.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a condition of great disorder
- n. a building where animals are butchered
In the defense of droopy faced Christine, her life is in shambles from the start.
If I take up space here writing all the other theories that were once, supposedly, absolute and the foundation of all knowledge and which are now tottering if not in shambles, I'll say nothing else.
With the private sector in shambles, the Federal government is the only one with enough juice left to fix anything.
BRIEF SYNOPSIS: With his life, and mind, in shambles after an industrial accident, Edgar Freemantle retreats to an island in Florida, where both the island, and Edgar, are deeper and darker than he had imagined.
Obama, as did Reagan, inherited an economy in shambles, and it will take a few years to get the rate down.
The GOP is in shambles, I LOVE IT! annie against biased news
I mean, hell, if I was accused of molesting children, had a face falling apart, a career in shambles, and had become a mockery of my former self, I'd be on drugs too.
I don't see an argument here that the economy was in shambles until Dole and Gingrich took power in the Congress.
An educational system based on survival of the fittest competition now in shambles:
The State budgets are in shambles and taxes and fees are going though the roof, the federal debt is at a record of near 13 trillion dollars.