from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To shiver convulsively, as from fear or revulsion. See Synonyms at shake.
- intransitive v. To vibrate; quiver: The airplane shuddered in the turbulence.
- n. A convulsive shiver, as from fear or revulsion; a tremor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A shivering tremor.
- n. A moment of almost pleasurable fear; a frisson.
- v. To shake nervously, as if from fear.
- v. To vibrate jerkily.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To tremble or shake with fear, horrer, or aversion; to shiver with cold; to quake.
- n. The act of shuddering, as with fear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To shake; quiver; vibrate.
- Hence, in particular, to tremble with a sudden convulsive movement, as from horror, fright, aversion, cold, etc.; shiver; quake.
- To have a tremulous or quivering appearance, as if from horror.
- Synonyms Quake, etc. See shiver.
- n. A tremulous motion; a quiver; a vibration.
- n. Specifically, a quick involuntary tremor or quiver of the body, as from fear, disgust, horror, or cold; a convulsive shiver.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an almost pleasurable sensation of fright
- v. tremble convulsively, as from fear or excitement
- v. shake, as from cold
- n. an involuntary vibration (as if from illness or fear)
I bent lower over her, and as I did so a slight, involuntary movement, akin to what we call a shudder, ran through her body.
He appears to regard rights, a word that he usually encloses in shudder-quotes, as an alibi to advance material claims.
That's the social safety net you've been sneering at, oh-so-wittily placing the phrase in shudder-quotes.
BUt yeah, mention Wong Jing and i break out in shudder ...
-- Netflix shouldn't shudder from the iTunes movie rental news.
The remoteness that made Goldberg shudder is just half a day's hike from the roadhead, on the east side of the mountain range where I happily spent all my childhood summers.
"I never had the desire to come here," Howard said with what could be described as a shudder.
Reading about it made me shudder, which is not something I do easily.
Alone, in a sequestered place, surrounded by vestiges of old time and decay, it rather has a tendency to call a shudder into being.
hey kentuckyliz sounds fun but i m a little suspicious i mean i ve heard of goodies like that left out as bait oh the horror squirted with the i word shudder oh the evil chemical weapons industry but i hope you re not a person who would do such a thing are you...