from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To hold under or as if under a spell; enchant or fascinate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To attract one's attention as if by a magic spell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To bind or hold by, or as if by, a spell or charm; to entrance or fascinate, esp. by eloquence of speech, as in a political campaign.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bind by or as if by a spell; hold under mental control or restraint; fascinate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. attract strongly, as if with a magnet
- v. put into a trance
- v. to render motionless, as with a fixed stare or by arousing terror or awe
Rooster will spellbind you with a story that begins with the casual comment that he met the guy who built Stonehenge and slowly, deliriously has you listening with open-mouthed pleasure at being taken for a ride while he mentions 80 foot tall giants who can't always be trusted and the golden drum they gave him that he can pound on and call for their aid whenever he's in trouble.
Previous editions of "Hard Knocks" have chronicled teams like the Baltimore Ravens, the Cowboys of Dallas and, of course, the 2007 Kansas City Chiefs, who would go on to spellbind the nation with a 4-12 season.
After all, there's no point in creating the collective insanity that is the cult of celebrity worship if you're not going to use the stars to spellbind their adoring public when called upon.
There Heidegger spends two years slowly and painfully learning English, aching for the chance once again to spellbind seminar rooms of worshipfully attentive students.
Really, its ability to refresh, rejuvenate, elate, spellbind can not be exaggerated.
But he also learned how to spellbind and to charm.
She could lift you up and then spellbind you, break your heart.
He gave three-hour speeches that held people spellbind.
"Shortsighted of me, no doubt, but it never occurred to me to spellbind the chimney!"
"I doubt if Marr could spellbind a stray puppy, and we've not heard the last of Syzambry's men."