from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act, sport, or technique of one that swims.
- adj. Relating to or used in swimming.
- adj. Capable of swimming: swimming insects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of swim.
- n. The action of the verb "to swim".
- n. The activity of moving oneself through water using one's arms and legs while buoyed up by the water, carried out by humans for amusement, exercise, sport or entertainment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That swims; capable of swimming; adapted to, or used in, swimming.
- adj. Suffused with moisture.
- n. The act of one who swims.
- adj. Being in a state of vertigo or dizziness.
- n. Vertigo; dizziness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or art of sustaining and propelling the body in water.
- Able to swim; habitually moving in or on the water; natatorial, as a bird or an insect.
- Adapted to, used for, or connected with swimming: as, a swimming action or progression.
- Filled to overflowing.
- Floating; fluctuating; wavering.
- n. Dizziness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. applied to a fish depicted horizontally
- adj. filled or brimming with tears
- n. the act of swimming
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“Justin Greer,” I murmured, the name swimming out of the fog in my mind.
The swimming test with Weissmuller, the winner of five Olympic gold medals in swimming, was held at the Hollywood Athletic Club.
John Brackett - "the Doc of the Bay" - had built a business catering partially to tourists who broke their teeth in swimming-pool accidents or on rogue bits of oyster shell in their dinners.
It is indeed pronounced as 'lie low' but we Brits tend not to treat them as mattresses - they're used more often to lounge in swimming pools or the sea while on holiday (sorry, vacation!).
“Laughter,” Pelagia greeted the white dolphin swimming before her, and indeed the old one seemed about to float away on a current of her own mirth.
One of my friend told me that he fell down in swimming pool accidentally, and unable to swim.
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
If swimming is not your forte, it is an easy ten minute hike to Playa del Beso, and just another twenty minutes to Playa del Toro.
The temptation of a freshwater swim was too great, so we took a chance and delighted in swimming there, and walked away unscathed.
If you are seeking out pool devices, that can help to assist you in swimming pool safety, you may want to consider purchasing life jackets, floats, or baby floats as many of these popular accessories can also be considered lifesaving accessories.