from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sweet, chewy candy of molasses or brown sugar boiled until very thick and then pulled with the hands or by machine until the candy is glossy and holds its shape.
- n. Informal Flattery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft, chewy candy made from boiled molasses or brown sugar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of candy made of molasses or brown sugar boiled down and poured out in shallow pans.
- n. Flattery; soft phrases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coarse kind of candy, made of sugar or molasses boiled down and then cooled in shallow pans, often mixed with the meats of various kinds of nuts, as almonds, etc.
- n. Hence Crude compliment or flattery; cajolery; blarney; soft soap.
- To give taffy to; prevail upon by means of flattery: as, he was taffied into yielding.
- n. A Welshman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. chewy candy of sugar or syrup boiled until thick and pulled until glossy
This colored "taffy" is cut into circles about the size of a tortilla, and hung on a clothesline to dry out a bit more.
Wyndham-Price even paused to joke that Georgia's saltwater taffy is better than Utah's.
These look just like my favorite salt water taffy from the coast!
On bad days a packet of splenda will be tempting (skip it), but I’ve found saltwater taffy from the Candy Baron in San Francisco, fresh fruit from a client breakfast, and even chicken liver pate … hey, I made that!
"This is organ grinder, calling taffy pull, over."
Chewing taffy, which is explained in the accompanying recipe, is a candy of this kind.
Domingo for its excellent "dulce de leche," a kind of milk taffy, which is well made elsewhere in the Republic, but is better in Azua as it is here prepared from goat's milk.
She smiled at him again, as if his appreciation of her taffy was a bond of good fellowship between them.
The taffy is a lovely purple, and it's the consistency of melted taffy.
The creature was approximately 7-10 feet in length, wormlike, grey and "taffy" like in appearance.