from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
- n. The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A six-point score occurring when the ball enters possession of a team's player in the opponent's end zone. Analogous to a try in rugby.
- n. The moment when an aircraft makes first or final contact with the ground during a landing.
- n. A try
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of touching the football down behind the opponents' goal; also the score (6 points) resulting from such a play.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In foot-ball, the touching of the ball to the ground by a player behind his opponent's goal; the play by which this is done.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a landing (as the wheels touch the landing field); especially of airplanes
- n. a score in American football; being in possession of the ball across the opponents' goal line
- v. come or bring (a plane) to a landing
"Ending it on a pick returned for a touchdown is an extremely disappointing thing," said Delhomme, who completed 13-of-25 passes for 153 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.
He played tight end at The Citadel and led the nation in touchdown receptions — in 1959.
Hearing that a team scored only one touchdown is bad, until you find out that no one else scored at all in any other games.
Jaworski and became the franchise's all-time leader in touchdown passes
A touchdown is a touchdown, no matter what unit scores.
Campbell found tight end Zach Miller uncovered for a 43-yard walk-in touchdown for a 7-0 lead.
Even getting more than one touchdown is a vast improvement.
•Wide receiver: Greg Jennings is an emerging star and will soon get a hefty raise if he keeps hauling in touchdown strikes from Rodgers.
No. 18 Tulsa at Arkansas, 2 p.m. Golden Hurricane offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn returns with his high-powered attack led by quarterback David Johnson, who leads the nation in touchdown passes.
Cantwell threw for 212 yards and ran in Louisville's other touchdown from the 1.