from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Loyal or faithful; staunch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of true blue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. genuine and thorough; not modified, nor mixed; not spurious; specifically, of uncompromising Presbyterianism, blue being the color adopted by the Covenanters.
- adj. Of inflexible honesty and fidelity; -- a term derived from the true, or Coventry, blue, formerly celebrated for its unchanging color. See True blue, under blue.
- n. A person of inflexible integrity or fidelity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See true blue, under blue.
- n. A person faithful to the principles or characteristics of a body or class.
- n. Especially— A Scotch Covenanter.
- n. A British sailor; a man-of-war's-man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by unswerving loyalty
The Conservative salvo at a 72-year-old widow of a man she called a "true-blue" Conservative quickly spread through blogs, newspapers and television.
My grandfather, a true-blue Tory of the old school, would have been disgusted.
As of this writing, Erik Millett, the principal of Belleisle Elementary School, is still away from his job, having been pitilessly hounded, vilified and threatened by what amounts to a national lynch-mob of true-blue patrioteers.
"He's a wooz, a true-blue, dyed-in-the-wool wooz," Doctor Jackson chanted, with the medico's delight in a novelty.
After a wild romp, Daisy trots home to curl up with her new, true-blue best friend.
If one of the three remaining true-blue social conservatives emerges with the preponderance of that vote in South Carolina, the pressure on the other two will become intense to pull out.''
"I will die like a true-blue rebel," he told his comrades.
But she teases that Teresa's motivations run deeper than being just a true-blue hero.
Gyllenhaal is also appealing as the love interest, but it's the mellowing Duvall who gives the film extra ballast and seasoning playing Wayne, the true-blue friend who helps Bad get clean and sober.
If you're a true-blue monarchist, you have to feel for Albania.