from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of medieval torture device, later associated with a cucking-stool.
- n. A cart which opens at the back to release its load.
- n. A cart used to carry condemned prisoners to their death, especially to the guillotine during the French Revolution.
- n. A basket or cage of osiers, willows, or the like, to hold hay and other food for sheep.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; carts of this type were used to carry prisoners to the guillotine during the French Revolution
At the farm sales, it was impossible not to rescue machines with names like the Nicolson swathe-turner and such things as enormous hay rakes originally designed to be drawn by horses, wooden bullock carts, or the kind of miniature tipping trailer known as a tumbril, one of the most useful things any farm could possess.
Well, the "tumbril," as we called it, arrived each day for nearly a week, and we drove off gaily to the appointed spot and saturated ourselves in the characteristics of the land we were shortly to attack.
Walking to the turbolift, and riding it up to the bridge, he almost felt that he was riding the tumbril toward the guillotine.
Keegle is noble but good taste takes a tumbril | Martin Kelner
Anyway, as the tumbril bearing Grant came into view, and we got shots of toothless crones in the crowd getting on with their knitting – or their modern equivalent, West Ham fans looking glum – the Hammers' latest signing, Wayne Bridge, was demonstrating that even a magic Chris Waddle cheque book might not provide an automatic solution to the club's troubles.
But ABC's "The Whole Truth," which, by all accounts, is next in line to be tossed on the tumbril, added nearly 860,000 viewers.
They make great speeches as they ride the tumbril to the guillotine.
He mounted the tumbril with him, he mounted the scaffold with him.
Accordingly, the tumbril in which the criminal was conveyed to execution was attended by far the greater proportion of the inhabitants of Perth.
I feel like I've just rolled up in the tumbril to be only partly decapitated, because before I can get the gist I have to leave to meet Amy Holmes so that we can chat and be miked before our own panel.