from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat-topped or rounded flower cluster in which the individual flower stalks arise from about the same point, as in the geranium, milkweed, onion, and chive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat-topped or rounded flower-cluster (= inflorescence) in which the individual flower stalks arise from the same point, the youngest flowers being at the centre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of flower cluster in which the flower stalks radiate from a common point, as in the carrot and milkweed. It is simple or compound; in the latter case, each peduncle bears another little umbel, called umbellet, or umbellule.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the spicular elements of the hexactinellid sponges, a straight shaft or rhabd with rays at one end grouped together in the form of an umbel.
- n. An inflorescence consisting of a number of flower-stalks or pedicels, nearly equal in length, spreading from a common center, their summits forming a level, convex, or even globose surface, more rarely a concave one, as in the carrot. See cuts under inflorescence, Thapsia, and Œnanthe.
- n. In zoology, an umbelliform tuft, cluster, or group of parts, as of polypites borne upon a polypidom. See cut under Umbellularia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. flat-topped or rounded inflorescence characteristic of the family Umbelliferae in which the individual flower stalks arise from about the same point; youngest flowers are at the center
At the top is the "seed" pod, more properly called the umbel, which contains the flowers and bulbils.
… its not classified as umbel-sc: Bird in the linked database
The funniest bit, though, is the wide-eyed wonder with which the word 'umbel' is introduced and discussed.
In sun The white umbel Seseli libanotus with upright Thalictrum 'Elin' with grasses to add movement.
Another good association could bethe white umbel Seseli libanotus with the purple-tinted foliage of theupright Thalictrum 'Elin'.
Right now they have sent up a green umbel that is sturdy but relaxed at the same time.
Some garlic varieties give improved yields if the scape is cut before umbel development.
The umbel pod is covered in by the spathe, which often has a pronounced beak.
His beard had grown in to the spiky stage and his hair stood up in a stiff umbel, uncut; no Roman wore a beard or long hair save after a death or some other huge calamity.
Yes, she is the queen of umbel family with greenish-yellow flowers and aromatic and curled leaves.