from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bell that summons worshipers to vespers.
- n. The evening star, especially Venus.
- n. Archaic Evening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bell that summons worshipers to vespers; the vesper-bell
- n. evening
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the evening, or to the service of vespers.
- n. The evening star; Hesper; Venus, when seen after sunset; hence, the evening.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vesper hymn or song.
- n. The evening star, a name given to the planet Venus when she is east of the sun and appears after sunset; hence, the evening.
- n. plural [⟨ LL. vespera, ML. vesperæ, ⟨ vespera, evening.] In the Roman Catholic and Greek churches, and in religious houses and as a devotional office in the Anglican Church, the sixth or next to the last of the canonical hours.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a late afternoon or evening worship service
- n. a planet (usually Venus) seen at sunset in the western sky
And Mr. C.E.B., in the summertime they had what they called a vesper services up on Park Hill.
We looked about and could see neither her nor Alice; and as it was nearly the hour they call vesper, though the days were still pretty long, we were greatly alarmed at their disappearance.
Poor little girl; one day to be called a vesper Vole, the next to be forgotten altogether, the next to be remembered after this fashion.
To be sure the recitation in concert, where the names of the asteroids, only four in number (instead of a million and four) were brought out by some of us, as "vesper,"
Stoles for festivals are generally ornamented with embroidery, especially what are called vesper stoles ".
John McCain needs to get his old behind on the battle field to see what these young men and women are going through. vesper
Last season hermeneutic of continuity published an update of my FARE 2008/9 professional work which as has now reached a critical legal juncture here in London : vesper has left a new comment on the post "Mass at St Peter's".
The hermeneutic of continuity recently published an update of my FARE 2008/9 professional work which as you are aware has now reached a critical legal juncture here in London : vesper has left a new comment on the post "Mass at St Peter's".
The hermeneutic of continuity recently published an update of my professional work which has now reached a critical legal juncture here in London : vesper has left a new comment on the post "Mass at St Peter's".
Poetry has been the key for me, try www.spreadtheword.org.uk : Threads Started By: vesper..