from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by youth; young.
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggesting youth. See Synonyms at young.
- adj. In an early stage of development; new.
- adj. Geology Young: a youthful streambed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Young or seeming young.
- adj. Characteristic of young people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not yet mature or aged; young.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the early part of life; suitable to early life
- adj. Fresh; vigorous, as in youth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In physical geography, exhibiting an early stage of the geographical cycle; young.
- Possessing or characterized by youth; not yet aged; not yet arrived at mature years; being in the early stage of life; young; juvenile.
- Pertaining or belonging or suitable to the early part of life: as, youthful days; youthful age.
- Fresh and vigorous, as in youth.
- Early in time.
- =Syn.1-3. Youthful, Juvenile, Boyish, Puerile. Youthful is generally used in a good sense: as, youthful looks or sports; juvenile indifferently, but if in a bad sense not strongly so: as, the poem was a rather juvenile performance; boyish rather more often, but not necessarily, in some contempt: as, a boyish manner; boyish enthusiasm; puerile always in marked contempt, as a synonym for silly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suggestive of youth; vigorous and fresh
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And I spoke with so much animation that Uncle Max smiled at what he called my youthful enthusiasm.
It is a solitary remnant of what you call my youthful prejudices which inspires me with angry thoughts at the sight of any atrocious act.
He said he sees no connection between the fires and the incident, which he characterized as youthful mischief.
It had a restrained, delicate perfume and showed well but was still firmly wrapped in youthful tannins.
I recently stumbled upon a call for submissions (might be NSFW) at wasaak/an exercise in youthful blasphemy, the blog of author Adam David.
In essence, it sort of gives an up to date credence to the influence and freshness of what is currently occurring in youthful circles today.
As much as I liked the wine, its pleasures were still tightly wound in youthful tannins, which are bitter.
Broadly speaking, these studies detect an incipient radicalism in youthful departures from the hegemonic stylistic norms of the white middle class — in music, dress, speech patterns, courtship and sexual behavior, and many other elements of individual identity.
But a joy it is, so much greater because all those who ever shared anything with me, whether in youthful play or in earnest endeavor, they are so glad, all of them!
Despite a certain youthful immaturity, it carries weight as a contemporary document and as a personal confession.