from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun plural The tassels of twisted cords or threads on the corners of the upper garment worn by strict Jews. The Hebrew for this word is translated in both the Authorized and Revised Versions (Deut. xxii. 12) by the word “fringes.”

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Alternative form of tzitzit.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word zizith.


  • A man needs zizith "(a fringed undergarment that the Torah commands men to wear; the commandment says that the fringes, which have to show, are to be worn" that ye may look upon [them] and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them; and ... seek not after your own heart ... which ye use to go a-whoring ").

    Chicago Reader


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • the fringes at the corner of a tallith.

    March 25, 2008

  • Another transliteration is "tsitsit", with the i's pronounced as long e's.

    March 25, 2008