from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Primulaceae — the primroses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The genus of plants including the primrose (Primula vera).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of gamopetalous plants, the primroses, type of the order Primulaceæ and the tribe Primuleæ, characterized by a conspicuous salver-shaped corolla, with five opposite stamens borne on its long tube, and by a roundish five-valved and one-celled capsule, containing many peltate seeds.
- n. [lowercase] Any plant of the genus Primula.
- n. [lowercase] In dyeing, Hofmann's violet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous short-stemmed plants of the genus Primula having tufted basal leaves and showy flowers clustered in umbels or heads
Sorry, no etymologies found.