from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or habit of deliberate self-denial.
- n. An abstaining vote or voter: 12 ayes, 10 nays, and 8 abstentions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Non-participation in the political world; as a country avoiding international affairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The act of abstaining; a holding aloof.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A holding off or refraining; abstinence from action; neglect or refusal to do something.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the trait of abstaining (especially from alcohol)
Late Latin abstentiō, abstentiōn-, from abstentus, past participle of Latin abstinēre, to hold back; see abstain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)