from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
- n. The condition of being unmarried.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abstaining from marriage; the state of being unmarried.
- n. Abstaining from sexual relations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being unmarried; single life, esp. that of a bachelor, or of one bound by vows not to marry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being celibate or unmarried; a single life; voluntary abstention from marriage: as, the celibacy of the clergy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unmarried status
- n. abstaining from sexual relations (as because of religious vows)
From Latin caelibatus ("celibacy, a single life"), perfect passive participle of caelibare, from caelebs ("unmarried"). (Wiktionary)